RE: ncpfs module and kernel recompile

On 02-Apr-97 Peter Iannarelli wrote:
>Hi George:
>
>I do my kernel builds a little differently however they always seem to work.
>
>I'll assume that you ran the patch-kernel and got the updated modutils. I don't

>know if the modutils are an absolute requirement however the doc does say
>these utils are for 2.1.18 and above.
>
>After I run my "make config" or menuconfig or xconfig, I run make zImage. The
>readme in linux says that "If your kernel is too large for "make zImage", use "
make bzImage"".
>I've used both, they work well.
>
>Following that I do a make install. Everything seems to get copied into /boot.
>My filenames are "vmlinuz" as well. When the install asks if I want to run lilo
 I answer yes.

>Following that I go to the root directory rm the existing vmlinux and System.ma
p and re-link them to the newly installed boot
image and map. ( ln -s boot/vmlinuz-2.1.29 vmlinuz and ln -s boot/System.map-2.1
29 to System.map). Then I run lilo again and r
eboot.

>I know this is not exactly what the documentation says to do however it always
seems to work.

>Regards,
>
>peter
>

>----------
>From:  G. Kapetanios wrote:
>
>I would be grateful for any help and ideas.,
>
>                                            Thanks
>                                            George

Hey Peteer:

Using "make zlilo" does all of that for you.  And if I remember correctly "make
bzimage is/was (it's been over a year since I've read about that command) for co
mpiling floppy images that are too large.  I have made kernels in the 800k range
 and never had to use any other command than "make zlilo".
Rick <rickya@siservices.net>
E-Mail: Rick <rickya@siservices.net>
Date: 02-Apr-97
Time: 09:52:53