Re: 56k baud modem (x2)

"GV" == Gregory Vence <gvence@ix.netcom.com> writes:

  "SK" --Susan G. Kleinmann wrote:
  SK>  Hi Greg -- You asked:
  GV> Is the 56kb USR upgrade compatible with linux?  I tired of 14.4.
  GV>   :)

  SK>   Almost certainly.  I use a 56K ISDN 'pseudo-modem' all the
  SK> time.  Even though this box isn't internally the same as the
  SK> real USR modem you're talking about, the software configuration
  SK> under Linux would be exactly the same.

  GV> I'm refering to using the 56k upgrade to their 33.6 modems.
  GV> It's some kind of driver (not ISDN) for working on regular
  GV> analog lines.  It might be something that reloads EEPROM or
  GV> such.

  GV> I'm looking for success and real connect speeds.  Sometimes
  GV> people with 33.6k only get on at 28.8k or 24k.

I assume you're talking about the "flash upgrade" for the
Couriers. You should just need to run it once from a DOS box, and it
will reprogram the EEPROM to (allegedly) work with X2. Sportsters
require a chip replacement.  If you're talking about neither one of
these, then I don't know what you're referring to.

As far as real connect speeds, I've seen estimates that < 5% of the
country has the right hardware on the other end of the telephone
switch to support 56kbps technology. Also, USR hasn't actually shipped
the equipment that's needed on the ISP side to support 56K. (You can't
just plug 2 56K modems together and have it work). So, as far as real
connect speeds, you're unlikely to get real data on 56K yet, and it's
highly unlikely that any data you get will be applicable to you.

-Larry

--
  Larry Daffner        |  Linux: Unleash the workstation in your PC!
  vizzie@airmail.net / http://web2.airmail.net/vizzie/