Re: 56k baud modem (x2)

>   > Is the 56kb USR upgrade compatible with linux?  I tired of 14.4.
>
>   Almost certainly.  I use a 56K ISDN 'pseudo-modem' all the time.
>   Even though this box isn't internally the same as the real USR modem
[snip]
> I'm refering to using the 56k upgrade to their 33.6 modems.  It's some
> kind of driver (not ISDN) for working on regular analog lines.  It might
> be something that reloads EEPROM or such.
> I'm looking for success and real connect speeds.  Sometimes people with
> 33.6k only get on at 28.8k or 24k.

I haven't used the 56k modem myself, I'm just relaying what I've heard
on an ISP mailing list...

33.6k is pushing the limit of a regular analog line. The 56k "X2" modem
requires that the ISP have a digital connection to the telco. That
means that the connection between you and your ISP is half digital:
 you <--analog--> telco <--digital--> ISP
If the setup is the regular analog only connection, it is very unlikely
that you will get faster than 33.6k.

In all probability, if you can't get 33.6k with your current line, you
won't be able to get 56k either.

2nd hand info. Take it fer what it's worth.