Re: RPM

On Sun, 30 Mar 1997, Jim Pick wrote:

> >  Wouldn't it be great to port dpkg to DOS/Win95? It then could be used by
> > shareware/freeware authors... And people would be biased towards Debian
> > when adopting Linux....
> I'm quite interested in this too.  Klee Dienes also said that he was working
> on doing this (using Cygnus' cygwin32 package).  I'm not sure what the state
> of his efforts are though, he seems pretty busy.

 Yes.. but...
 * Windows users probably don't need dependencies. Programs doesn't
usally depend on external libraries...
 * Windows users like to move files... =)
 * Would authors adopt dpkg?

 Perhaps a more realistic goal is to port dpkg to other popular UNIX
variants, and `market' it as a piece of software independent of Debian.
 (I was told that there is a SGI port being made!).

--
Nicolás Lichtmaier.-  | Try visiting #debian in Undernet (us.undernet.org)
nick@feedback.com.ar  | The channel of the debian developers =)