Re: RPM

On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, [iso-8859-1] Nicolás Lichtmaier wrote:

>  Yes.. but...
>  * Windows users probably don't need dependencies. Programs doesn't
> usally depend on external libraries...

Ever heard of a DLL? :)  All windows programs depend on them, and manually
keeping up with the correct version of a DLL is a nightmare.

>  * Windows users like to move files... =)

There's the concept of a shortcut in Win95 that hopefully cuts down on
this nasty habit.

>  * Would authors adopt dpkg?
>
>  Perhaps a more realistic goal is to port dpkg to other popular UNIX
> variants, and `market' it as a piece of software independent of Debian.
>  (I was told that there is a SGI port being made!).

Well I don't think all free software has been written with marketability
in mind. :)

In the end, the best advice here (that's already being followed
apparently) is to port it win95 and throw it out there for people to use.
If it's superior to whatever other similiar technology out there exists
and it's not called Betamax, the market share will take care of itself.

-douglas