Re: X and Keyboards

Andrew Cater (Andy) | +44 1242 672705 | amacater@galactic.demon.co.uk
On Tue, 25 Mar 1997, Hubert Palme wrote:

> After upgrading to 1.2.7, X does only know a US keyboard. Where in
> the many configuration files can I tell X, that I have a German one
> -- and where can I read about it?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Hubert Palme

It may be a better idea to use xkbcomp to define your keyboard: this
should allow you to define your keys correctly for a German keyboard
layout. As far as I know, xmodmap is older than xkb and xkb is now
preferred.  If you use the graphical setup tool which comes with the
vga16 X server, I think there is an option to set the keyboard layout.

I hope this helps,

Andy