Re: Network Configuration

>>Hello,
>>
>>     last week, I had a problem with my ethernet card not being detected by
>>the modconf program so I asked this list. I got lots of answers and
>>finally my card is detected.
>>
>>     The problem now is that I can't make it work. I mean, I can't do ftp,
>>telnet, etc... When I try some of these, I wait and wait,... If I use
>>nfs as the access method to the distribution, I got the message "server
>><my nfs server> seems to be down or inexistent".
>>
>>     I have configured the network, I have installed the drivers (my card is
>>a DIGITAL depca), the card is found when rebooting at the correct
>>address and interruption...
>>
>>     Could somebody give me a hint about what's happenning? Maybe there's
>>something I forgot to do. I'm a beginner in LINUX, so I would apreciate
>>being told what to do step by step.
>>
> Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 13:30:08 +0000
> From: "Oliver Elphick" <olly@linda.lfix.co.uk>
>
> First, try the command ifconfig
>
> You should see something like:# ifconfig
> lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
>           inet addr:127.0.0.1  Bcast:127.255.255.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
>           UP BROADCAST LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3584  Metric:1
>           RX packets:31668 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
>           TX packets:31668 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
>
> eth0      Link encap:10Mbps Ethernet  HWaddr 00:4F:49:00:E0:5D
>           inet addr:193.195.30.1  Bcast:193.195.30.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:164771 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
>           TX packets:184328 errors:13 dropped:0 overruns:0
>           Interrupt:11 Base address:0xef80
>
> #

OK, if I run ifconfig I got the same thing, but in lo, the inet address
is the same that in eth0. Is that correct?

> If that works, try pinging other machines on your network, using their
> IP numbers; next try their names.

I can ping my machine an doing telnet and ftp to it (with telnet and ftp
I got _connection refused_ but I think it's OK because I've got no
server running). But it doesn't work with the other machines in my
network. So I can't make a query to my dns server.

I have also been told to setup routing. If I type #route add default
eth0" nothing changes. If I add it to /etc/init.d , nothing changed
either. My init.d file looks like:

ifconfig lo 192.168.13.1 (my gateway)
	route add -net 192.168.13.0
	IPADDR=192.168.13.114
	NETMASK=255.255.255.0
	NETWORK=192.168.13.0
	BROADCAST=192.168.13.255
	GATEWAY=192.168.13.1

ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}
route add -net ${NETWORK}
route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1

I have add to it the line route add default eth0, but it doesn't work
either.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

Jordi INGLADA