Re: IDE Zip drive

On 21 Mar, Douglas Bates wrote:

> I recently bought a computer on which I had an internal Iomega Zip
> drive installed.  I expected a SCSI or, perhaps, a parallel Zip
> drive.  I was surprised when it came with an IDE Zip drive installed.

> The drivers for Windows 95 are all installed and the drive works fine
> with that.  When Linux boots up it can't seek on the drive if there is
> no disk installed (not surprising) and eventually bypasses hdb.  If
> there is a disk installed and I try to mount the DOS filesystem on the
> disk with
>  # mount -f msdos /dev/hdb1 /mnt
> I get complaints about not being able to read the superblock.

> The Linux fdisk program can see the partitioning on the disk and it
> looks like a single DOS partition at hdb1 but fdisk also thinks that
> this partition starts and ends at weird places.

Are you sure about it being the first partition? Per default from
Iomega the disks come with the partition as #4...

When I try mounting a DOS disk (with a parallell ZIP) as /dev/sda1
(it is partition #4) I get:
mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device

Trying the entire disk (/dev/sda) I get:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda,
       or too many mounted file systems

In your mount command above I assume -f to be a typo, it should be -t.

Have you tried 'mount -t msdos /dev/hdb4 /mnt' ?

> Does anyone know how to handle this device?  Should I build a kernel
> with support for IDE-based tapes or something like that?

There also seems to a bit of trouble with the disk geometry;
from http://www.torque.net/zip-ide.html:

"The IDE drive returns a geometry of 512 cylinders, 12 heads and 32 sectors
per track. The SCSI (and parallel) drives use a geometry of 96 cylinders,
64 heads and 32 sectors per track. The partition tables on Iomega formatted
media assume the SCSI geometry. While Linux appears to be able to read the
SCSI geometry disks on the IDE drive, you may wish to tell fdisk the
96/64/32 geometry numbers before altering the partition table on the
IDE drive."

> Any suggestions appreciated.

Check out http://www.torque.net/zip.html for more info.

/Michael
--
|                Linux: Turn on...Tune in...Fork out...                 |
|    Michael Tempsch, member of Ballistic Wizards, TIP#088, TDGP#20     |