IDE Zip drive

I recently bought a computer on which I had an internal Iomega Zip
drive installed.  I expected a SCSI or, perhaps, a parallel Zip
drive.  I was surprised when it came with an IDE Zip drive installed.

The drivers for Windows 95 are all installed and the drive works fine
with that.  When Linux boots up it can't seek on the drive if there is
no disk installed (not surprising) and eventually bypasses hdb.  If
there is a disk installed and I try to mount the DOS filesystem on the
disk with
 # mount -f msdos /dev/hdb1 /mnt
I get complaints about not being able to read the superblock.

The Linux fdisk program can see the partitioning on the disk and it
looks like a single DOS partition at hdb1 but fdisk also thinks that
this partition starts and ends at weird places.

Does anyone know how to handle this device?  Should I build a kernel
with support for IDE-based tapes or something like that?

Any suggestions appreciated.

--
Douglas Bates                            bates@stat.wisc.edu
Statistics Department                    608/262-2598