Re: Powermanagment

Stefan Walder wrote:

> Hi,
>
> can I put down the power of my monitor when I'm running X?

If your graphics adapter/monitor has support for it, yes! If you have
an S3/Mach64-based adapter and are using the XF86_S3(V) or
XF86_Mach64 server. You need to edit your XF86Config file and add the
option "power_saver". Here's a snipet from the XF86_S3 man page:

               power_saver - (S3, Mach64) This option enables the
               server to use the power saving  features  of  VESA
               DPMS  compatible  monitors.   The suspend level is
               currently only supported for the  Mach64  and  for
               the  732, 764, 864, 868, 964, 968 S3 chips.  Refer
               to the XF86Config(4/5) manual page for details  of
               how  to  set the timeouts for the different levels
               of operation.  This option is experimental.

You can control the behavior of this feature on-the-fly using the
xset command. See the man page for details. This works great for
me on my S3 864 based board.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com