Re: Sound

> Correct me & modify as needed. :)

Ok, I'll try :)

> The other problem I have currently is with sound. I have a Sound Blaster 16
> which is usually on Address 220, IRQ 5, DMA's 1 & 5, 330 for Midi, etc.
> I've read the Sound-HowTo document, and downloaded the VoxWare Sound drivers
> 2.5, but not had much luck so far. The installation instructions aren't that
> helpful.
>
> One would assume that I'm going to have to rebuild the kernel, etc, so where
> can I find a copy of the source for it? Do I already have it but I don't
> realise it?

You probably don't already have it if you didn't choose to install it, but
you can check /usr/src/linux anyway.  (If /usr/src/linux is there, then
you have it.)  If you don't have it, you can get it using the dselect
program.  It's under kernel-source-2.0.27:
Opt devel    kernel-sourc 2           2           Linux kernel source.
I don't know if there's a stable version with debian past 2.0.27, but my
dselect still says 2.0.27 and I just updated it from ftp.cdrom.com today.

Anyway, once you get/have it, cd /usr/src/linux; and type 'make
menuconfig'.  If that doesn't work, then you don't have ncurses installed,
and type 'make config' instead.  (All without the little 'quotes' too.)
This will let you only compile in what you need, and it will get rid of
the time consuming searching for all that hardware you don't have.  You
can also install audio support.  (Make sure to install /dev/audio support!
If you don't, you'll have a lot of problems.  (I overlooked /dev/audio and
just went directly with SB16 only, and I had a headache - you have to
install them both)

Once you're done with make [menu]config, type:
make dep;
make clean;
make zImage;

I'm not sure what to do with zImage, because I don't use loadlin.  I guess
ask someone else about that.  (with LILO you just type make zlilo instead)

> Help! Maybe I should've used the copy of UNIX System V release 4 in the attic,
> 'cause we've got stacks of books... but this is more fun! :)

Naaa.  Reformatting is GOOD for you!

> I've successfully got LOADLIN working now anyway, which should stop me
> constantly changing the MBR to swap operating systems. Phew. Can one assume
> that if I rebuild the kernel I will have to copy it across again?

Why use loadlin?  LILO is much better..  I don't know anything about
loadlin, but I know that if you use lilo you won't ever have to fiddle
with MBRs again.

> And finally... on bootup it's still looking for all kinds of hardware that I
> don't have, and I read somewhere about how to remove it... can I assume that
> since I may have to rebuild the kernel to get sound support, then the other
> hardware support is in there too, i.e. a rebuild will get rid of it?

Yep.