Re: Sound

Recompiling the kernel will get rid of the probing on boot along with
help your sound card, I recompiled a kernel and had sound with no problem,
yes you have the sound code just do a kernel recompile.

The stuff about switching mrb's every time you want a different os sounds
a little funny, ever heard of lilo.

I havent read your pervious messages so you may already know what I have
told you.

On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Robin Beckett wrote:

>Correct me & modify as needed. :)
>
>Right, we appear to have sorted the modem, problem, thanks very much. The
>XFree86 problem still exists, but I'm working on that.
>
>The other problem I have currently is with sound. I have a Sound Blaster 16
>which is usually on Address 220, IRQ 5, DMA's 1 & 5, 330 for Midi, etc.
>I've read the Sound-HowTo document, and downloaded the VoxWare Sound drivers
>2.5, but not had much luck so far. The installation instructions aren't that
>helpful.
>
>One would assume that I'm going to have to rebuild the kernel, etc, so where
>can I find a copy of the source for it? Do I already have it but I don't
>realise it?
>
>Help! Maybe I should've used the copy of UNIX System V release 4 in the attic,
>'cause we've got stacks of books... but this is more fun! :)
>
>I've successfully got LOADLIN working now anyway, which should stop me
>constantly changing the MBR to swap operating systems. Phew. Can one assume
>that if I rebuild the kernel I will have to copy it across again?
>
>And finally... on bootup it's still looking for all kinds of hardware that I
>don't have, and I read somewhere about how to remove it... can I assume that
>since I may have to rebuild the kernel to get sound support, then the other
>hardware support is in there too, i.e. a rebuild will get rid of it?
>
>Cheers.
>

>Have fun,
>
>RtB.
>subwolf@enterprise.net
>Fido: 2:2500/708@fidonet.org

Jason Killen                                     Question Stupidity
Monolith : the new ANSI standard for humans      RPS : better living through
jkillen@tinuviel.cs.wcu.edu                         world domination