Re: Chmodding a whole directory tree

On Wed, 19 Mar 1997, Thought wrote:

> How do I make a whole directory tree and it's files readable by everyone?
> I can't just chmod -R a+r dir because then they won't be able to cd to the
> directories, but I can't chmod -R a+rx dir because then all the files will
> be executable...  Is there a way to make the directories +x without making
> all the files +x?  Or better yet is there a way to copy the owner's
> permissions to the group and other's permissions?  Thanks

find /path/to/dir -type d -exec chmod a+rx {} \;

Jason Costomiris                 | Finger for PGP 2.6.2 Public Key
jcostom@sjis.com                 | "There is a fine line between idiocy
My employers like me, but not	 | and genius.  We aim to erase that line"
enough to let me speak for them. |			--Unknown

	        	http://www.jasons.org/~jcostom