Adaptec 2940 UW (2)

I combined a 2.0.27 kernel with a 2.0.11 scsi folder,
and solved my problems for now. It seems that those
kernels that work access the wide scsi disk with 10.0 MHz,
while those that fail insist on accessing with 20.0 MHz
as scsi-2. In addition to a picky aic7xxx driver that
declines to fall back on the lower bandwidth, there
might indeed be a hardware problem hidden. I will check
termination and wiring again.

However, I would still appreciate an explanation on
why the aic7xxx was rewritten to insist on scsi-2, and
whether this will be fixed again. During the last two
months, I would have happily settled for half the
bandwidth, saving me literally dozens of hours of
experimentation.

                              regards,

                                       b.