Re: Modem

Craig Sanders wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Mar 1997, Paul Wade wrote:
>
> > > It mentioned /dev/modem, which I don't appear to have. Have I missed
> > > a package somewhere? Help!
> >
> > /dev/modem is usually a soft link
> >
> > for example my modem is on the 3rd port - COM3 in msdos/win
> >
> > ln -s /dev/cua2 /dev/modem
> >
> > creates the soft link
>
> /dev/cua devices are obsolete now.  they are only retained for backwards
> compatibility with old binaries.
>
> what you have obviously works for you, but you would be much better off
> using /dev/ttyS2 - this is especially true if you want to use the same
> line for both dialin and dialout...port locking is handled much better
> with ttyS2 devices (as long as all programs are compiled to use the
> correct lock file...all debian packages are)
>
> craig

I turned around to my old 386, did a ls /dev/mo*, and answered his
question. I must have inherited the link to /dev/cua2 from another
distribution. Probably, I created it following some old FAQ or howto. I
wasted time with two other distributions before I switched to debian.
You and Tim both make a good point here about the debian distribution -
it actually has standards. A lot of people are running the others
because they bought some worthless book with a CD inside the back cover.

Paul Wade, CEO
Greenbush Technologies Corporation
Web:	http://www.greenbush.com/
Email:	mailto:paulwade@greenbush.com