Re: GCC Compiler

On Wed, 19 Mar 1997, Pete Poff wrote:

> I've just downloaded the Gcc Compiler version 2.7.2.2. I currently
> don't have any other compilers that I know of. I'll I've done is
> installed the newest version of Debian Linux System. The Gcc Compiler
> has to be compiled but I can't because it's my first compiler. Can
> anyone help me install it?

debian comes with gcc - why not just install the .deb package instead of
compiling your own (you'd need to install it anyway in order to compile
gcc :-)

if you installed debian from CD then the gcc packages should be right
there on your cd. just look in the devel/ subdirectory of the
distribution.

if you installed from the net, then you can find gcc at ftp.debian.org in
the /stable/binary-i386/devel directory.  if you're using the unstable
development tree, then the path is /unstable/binary-i386/devel

note that gcc depends on quite a few packages - cpp, binutils, and others.
You could download and install all of these by hand using dpkg but it
would probably be much easier for you to use dselect and select gcc for
installation - it will automatically select everything else that gcc
depends on.

you can use dselect to install from cdrom or ftp (amongst other methods).

craig