Re: XWindows .deb package for debian gnu linux

>      Hi . . .

Hi.  (this post belongs in debian-user, so I'll reply to it there)

>      I'm potential Debian GNU/Linux user and I have some questions no covered by this FAQ.
> I would like to get some information about where I could find the XWIndows files for the newest
> version of the Debian linux (probably X11 R6.3) in the deselect .deb distribuition pack.
> Following the Debian GNU/Linux instructions I just got to generate the 6 instalations
> disks with the Kernel and the Base .deb Pack. I looked for the X11 in the debian.org ftp
> site and didn't had sucess to find the X11 .deb pack, I just encoutered several programs
> and utilities (e.g. FVWM, OLWM, Xclock, ...).

You want the xbase, xlib6, xfntbase, xserver-vga16 and possibly some other
packages.

I would suggest just installing the base system (text mode only), and then use
something
like the ftp method from dselect to install these, and other packages.  If you
don't
have an Internet connection, it may be easier to just get a CD ROM.

>      I also have a doubt about the instalation process. My PC is Pentium 100 MHz / 32 MB /
> HD 2.1 Gb with a 504 Mb WIN95 active(bootable) primary partition and a extended partition
> with two DOS logical drives (D: with 1.0 Gb and E: with 504 Mb). The logical partition E:
> was created to be used with Linux, and C: & D: will continue to be used with WIN95 (I expect
> that Debian Linux will instal any kind of Master Boot Record program loadable at startup that
> will ask what Operating System (WIN95 or Linux) will be loaded).However, the instalation
> instructions say that linux requires two partitions: a 16-128 Mb swapp file partition and
> the real linux self partition, both marked in partition table as UNIX partitions. These
> instructions also say that the instalation program will ask if there are two partitions like
> those at the HD and iff the answer is NO the linux partition program (like DOS FDISK) will
> create them. I would like to know if is possible to transform the second DOS logical drive
> at the extended partition (E: 504Mb) in two new UNIX logical drives (e.g. 64 Mb & 440 Mb) at
> the same extended partition where previously there was a logial DOS drive (D: 1 Gb), at the
> same Western Digital EIDE HD with a previously defined DOS primary partition (C: 504 MB)
> with no data loss.If your answer is No, where can I encouter a DOS based program that
> modifies the partition table with no data loss at the partitons not modified (I my case,
> is necessary to delete drive E:, create two new Unix logical drives in this region and
> to keep unchanged The C: and D: partition information and disk structure).

I think you can do this, but I'm not 100% clear on this - I would suggest
trying it out
with the install disks -- they will prompt you before they destroy any
partitions.

Be careful.

If you get stuck, you could always try out a commercial program called
Partition Magic
that is supposed to fix up stuff like this - there's also a free utility that
can do
something similar. Of course, if you use those programs, you really need to
make a
backup -- so it might make more sense anyways to just backup the data, remove
and recreate
the partitions, then restore the data.

Cheers,

 - Jim