Re: another question

Andrew Cater (Andy) | +44 1242 672705 | amacater@galactic.demon.co.uk
On Mon, 17 Mar 1997, d. nathan hood wrote:

> i tried downloading minicom in a *.tar.gz format and had problems installing
> it... eventually i found the minicom debian package and had no problems, now\
> i am looking to install netscape and the only format i can find it in is
>
> *-linux-elf.tar.gz
>
> am i going to ahve similar problems? what i was doing was
>
> gunzip -d <filename>
>
> then
>
> tar -x <filename>
>
> and tar would run for a while and then shutdown (according to top) but the
> xterm wouldn't return me a prompt, until i hit ctrl-c.
>
> what _exactly_ (please remember i am new at this, and if there is a place\
> i should be looking instead of posting here, please let me know) do i need
> to do to get netscape up and running on my linux box?  i am getting tired of
> booting into Win95 everytime i need to download a new package or something
> although i suppose i could use telnet/lynx/ftp to do it, but netscape would be
> so much easier
>
> to everyone who replied to my earlier question of filesystems and running\
> remote programs over X thankyou very much... i am at work now, but when i get
> home i will try your suggestions
> --
> D. Nathan Hood            nhood@unlgrad1.unl.edu    UNL Dept. Of Chemistry
> Teaching Assistant         Network Administrator       Chemical Superfreak
>           I Don't Believe In Destiny, Or The Guiding Hand Of Fate
>           I Don't Believe In Forever, Or Love As A Mystical State
> I Don't Believe In The Stars Or The Planets, Or Angels Watching From Above
>                  But I Believe There's A Ghost Of A Chance
>                We Can Find Someone To Love, And Make It Last.
>           -Rush                                    -Ghost Of A Chance

Download the appropriate file from ftp.netscape.com - take the .tar.gz
file this gives you and move it into /tmp using mv.

Download the netscape .deb file from your nearest Debian mirror
(via dselect, ftp and follow the prompts.)  This is an installer which
will handle some of the hassle for you.

use dselect to install the .deb package - this should then auto-install
Netscape (and probably tell you that the .tar.gz file is in tmp and should
be moved).

Enjoy.  You may find that these instructions are unclear - mail me for
further help

Andy