Any recommendation about a good 3D video card?

Hi all,

I'll buy a 3D video card this summer and i can expense 750$ (1000$
Canadien). This card is to use in the developpment of a 3D environnement
in OPENGL on PC. Do you have any recommendations? I don't know if it's a
good idea to purchase a card like a Matrox Millenium or a ATI 3D Pro Turbo
because the features on this cards are primary for the games.

Thanks for your help,
Dany ;)
                                   \\\|///
                                  (  @ @  )