Re: Meta key: what's the right/best way?

  Pete> I'd also like to know how to get backspace to be a backspace
  Pete> and delete to be a delete consistently in all of the things I
  Pete> do (xterms on localhost, xterms telnetted to another host,
  Pete> emacs locally, emacs in a xterm telnetted to another host,
  Pete> emacs remote onto my X display) - what's the right way to do
  Pete> it?

For Emacs in xterms, the best solution seems to be to add the
following to your .emacs file:

,-----
| (or window-system
|     (progn
|       (define-key ctl-x-map "?" 'help-command)
|       (define-key global-map "\C-h" (lookup-key global-map "\C-?"))
|       (setq help-char ??)))
`-----

This makes Backspace behave like you're used to.  Be aware, though,
that this changes the behavior of C-h, too, as Emacs has no way to
tell the difference between Backspace and C-h in a terminal where that
is the same.

As you can see, you can use "?" in places where you used C-h to get
help, before.  You can also use F1.  And the help command is bound to
C-x ?.

hth,
kai
--
I fell in love with you the first time I looked at you
them there eyes.