Re: Ideal partition sizes.

In message <[🔎] m0w6Gdc-000NMiC@localhost>, Marcus Brinkmann writes:
> Paul van Berlo writes:
> >
> > Hi.
> >
> > I'm new to this list and Debian. I have the following question. I have
> > been using Linux for quite some time now and I recently upgraded to a
> > better and faster pc. Before I had Linux on one 300mb partition but I want
> > to dedicate this machine to Linux now (1,2gb). What would be the ideal
> > partition sizes to split up the hdd for Linux? It'll be used for
> > developing mainly and for internet connectivity. I will most likely also
> > be running X. Any answers to this will be really appreciated. I don't want
> > to put linux on one big partition.
> >
> > -Paul
> >

> The question of partitioning the harddisk is a question of beliefe, I think.
> But if you have a stand alone home PC, I think it is not worth it to split
> up the harddisk. The main reason to do this is to protect the data on the
> other partitons, if one of them chrashes. So you don't have to re-install the
> whole system. But there is a drawback:
> + It is only easy to reinstall if you backup regularly (the whole disk!).
>   Do you have a streamer to do this?
> + The modern harddisks should not chrash (ok, this is no guarantee...), and
>   on a stand alone PC the disk is not so hard used (indeed, most of the time
>   it rests).
> + If you have a lot of partitions, a lot of harddisk space will be wasted,
>   because you have to keep the partitions big enough to hold the data, but:
> + you are in big trouble, if you have made a partiton too small, because you
>   can't change the partiton size without weeping the whole disk.
>
> So if you take the risk of one big partition, you do not have the question
> of partition it, on the other hand, IF something happens...

I use a smal root partition (~17M) and two smal swap-partitions (so I can
deactivate one and use for temporary use like a temporary root while
recovering from a mayor crach). The rest is one big filesystem (monted /ext0
and /usr /home /var and /tmp is soft symlink from the root partiton. This
give You the flexibility of a big partition and still a smal and hopfully
verry stable root.

(I dont know if hard symlink is better, the soft ones is working here so far)

Hope this is useful info /Lars