Re: Ideal partition sizes.

Paul van Berlo writes:

> Hi.
>
> I'm new to this list and Debian. I have the following question. I have
> been using Linux for quite some time now and I recently upgraded to a
> better and faster pc. Before I had Linux on one 300mb partition but I want
> to dedicate this machine to Linux now (1,2gb). What would be the ideal
> partition sizes to split up the hdd for Linux? It'll be used for
> developing mainly and for internet connectivity. I will most likely also
> be running X. Any answers to this will be really appreciated. I don't want
> to put linux on one big partition.
>
> -Paul

The question of partitioning the harddisk is a question of beliefe, I think.
But if you have a stand alone home PC, I think it is not worth it to split
up the harddisk. The main reason to do this is to protect the data on the
other partitons, if one of them chrashes. So you don't have to re-install the
whole system. But there is a drawback:
+ It is only easy to reinstall if you backup regularly (the whole disk!).
  Do you have a streamer to do this?
+ The modern harddisks should not chrash (ok, this is no guarantee...), and
  on a stand alone PC the disk is not so hard used (indeed, most of the time
  it rests).
+ If you have a lot of partitions, a lot of harddisk space will be wasted,
  because you have to keep the partitions big enough to hold the data, but:
+ you are in big trouble, if you have made a partiton too small, because you
  can't change the partiton size without weeping the whole disk.

So if you take the risk of one big partition, you do not have the question
of partition it, on the other hand, IF something happens...

I work with a 886 MB Partition (19 MB swap) without any problems for over a
year. I backup the /etc/ stuff, and my /home directory. This should be
enough information to re-install the whole system from the scratch.

So, good luck, Marcus