Re: Connecting to a Windows NT server

On Sat, 15 Mar 1997, Christopher C. Pitts wrote:

> Leandro Asnaghi-Nicastro wrote:
> >
> >   Has anyone managed to succesfully connect a Windows NT server?  THe
> > How-To's I've looked up and the books I have bought assume I use a
> > normal server (Unix/Linux) but unfortunately at work we run Windows
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    :)   ;)    :)     ;)    :)

> > NTfor our servers ..

> I currently must use '95 to connect to my ISP... he runs NT...I'm

Connecting pppd to an NT server is tricky, but do-able.  My friend got it
up and running immediately; for me it took several days.

I was able to get it to work by putting "<your login on the server> *
<password>" into BOTH pap-secrets and chap-secrets (in /etc/ppp), and by
including the "user <your login on the server>" option in the options file
(/etc/ppp/peers/provider for pppd 2.3b3-2, another file for some earlier
versions).

Remember to do "tail -f /var/log/ppp.log" so you can watch for error
messages as they happen.  I used to get a "serial line is looped back"
error connecting to NT, which the manual was extremely unhelpful in
troubleshooting.  I think it means that the server has hung up on you.  In
any case, the error mysteriously disappeared when I got my configuration
files right.

You can also set a "verbose debugging" option for pppd, which shows more
detail about what is sent & received.  I don't remember the option
offhand, but it's in the docs somewhere.

Which version of pppd are you using?  I upgraded to 2.3b3-2 last December.
I don't remember if that was because of my problems connecting to NT, or
whether it was after I had gotten it working.  More recent versions of
pppd do better at handling NT servers, and also have NT-specific sections
in their documentation.  However, it takes some time to get used to the
changes to the configuration file structure in new versions.  If you
decide to upgrade, make a backup of /etc/ppp.*. /etc/ppp/* and
/etc/chatscripts/* if you have anything in your old configuration
files you might want to look at later after making changes.

Good luck.

************** MICHAEL SCOTT ORR <mso@jimpick.com> *****************
*    *  1405 NE 56th Street, Seattle, WA 98105 USA     *   English *
*    *  Tel: +1 (206) 522-9627, fax: 328-6209          *    Russki *
*    *  Work: vielo@u.washington.edu                   * Esperanto *