Re: could someone send me these files?

Hello!

Richard Morin writes:

> Hi folks, I'm still having some difficulty with my setup, but I trudge on.
> No questions this time, just a request for some files so I can compare and
> see for myself what I'm doin' wrong.
>
> If you dial up to your ISP, with PPP, and your not on a network, please
> send me the following.

[..SNIP..]

> and anything else you thing might help from looking at this.
>
> TIA
> Rich M
> qnc496@durhamnews.net

Try reading the "Network Administrators' Guide", where you can find
a lot of information building up a connection. There you can get the
information about the files you need to configure
(incl. /etc/hosts, /etc/networks, ...), and other information, e.g.
configuration of mail and news software.

You will find it really helpful. You can get it from sunsite.unc.edu (and
its mirrors) in pub/Linux/docs/LDP/ among other useful books.
If you can't get it (because your connection is totally down), I can mail it
to you (or the relevant chapters). But be aware, that the total file is very
big (338048 Bytes: nag-1.0.html.tar.gz), there are other formats, ascii and
ps also, but they are not good for online reading.

Hope you can cope with your trouble, Marcus.
p.s.: if you want to share, mail me. I am trying to build up the same
connection like you (stand alone machine to ISP via PPP)