Re: could someone send me these files?

On Thu, 13 Mar 1997 17:41:46 -0500 (EST) Richard Morin <qnc496@durhamnews.net>
wrote:

> If you dial up to your ISP, with PPP, and your not on a network, please
> send me the following.

     I have a simple dialup PPP connection to my PSP.  I don't use
diald.  My installation is essentially the same as setup by the
distribution.

> /etc/init.d/network

#!	/bin/sh
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
route add -net 127.0.0.0

     This is unchanged from the distribution.

> /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1		localhost
206.103.141.50		bobspc		bobspc.metrolink.net

     The first line in this file was set up by the distribution; I
added the second.  This may have been necessary since I didn't elect
to configure the network from the installation program.  A recent
posting on this list said that the order of the entries on the second
line is important.  Mine used to be

206.103.141.50		bobspc.metrolink.net 	bobspc

and it worked, bt I changed it after reading that message.

     My ISP uses dynamic address assignment.  The 206.103.141.50 in
this file is in the middle of the range of addresses that I am
assigned.  This was recommended in /usr/doc/ppp/README.linux.gz.  I
have seen postings in this list that said 127.0.0.1 could be used as
well, but as long as it works, I'm not changing.

     I don't know if it is essential in this file, but many config
files that are set up in columnar format must have at least one tab
character, not blanks, between columns.  I am always careful to set up
all columnar config files this way.

> /etc/network

     I don't have this file on my system.

> and your /usr/bin/pon (if you use it)

#!/bin/sh
if [ -r /etc/ppp.options_out -a -r /etc/ppp.chatscript ]; then
	/usr/sbin/pppd connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp.chatscript" `cat /etc/ppp.options_out`
else
	echo "You do not have permissions to access /etc/ppp.chatscript or /etc/ppp.options_out"
fi

     This is unchanged from the distribution.

     Hope this helps.  You didn't mention your specific problems.  The
biggest problems i have had in setting up ppp have been permissions on
files and directories that kept non-root users from running ppp.

Bob