Can't replace the Linux kernel on the "boot" disk (1 of 5)

I've been trying to replace the kernel on the original boot disk.  The one
I marked boot when instructed to rawrite boot, root, base 1, base 2,
and base 3.  I read over the instructions on the disk, copied my zImage
file that boots fine from ldlinux on the dos C: drive, ran the
rdev commands that are included in rdev.sh on the floppy, changed the
name of the zImage file to linux and tried to boot.  It does boot
the kernel, but it dies after I insert the root disk with:
[MS-DOS FS Rel 12 FAT 12 .....
me = 0xc9  ......
TRANSACTION BLOCK SIZE = 512

KERNEL panic VFS unable to mount root fs on 02:00.

I suspect that my kernel might not have something that it needs like
minix support?  I also see a modules.gz file and a system.map (?) file
on the floppy.  Should I pack up some modules too?  I'm running an October
version of 1.1.

I tried to mount the root floppy, but it wouldn't mount as anything I
have compiled in.  Should it mount?

Thanks,
Jim.

Jim Lynch, System Engineer,  SGI/Cray Research, Inc. / ARS: K4GVO
Federal Business Systems, Phone: (770) 631-2254, Email: jwl@sgi.com
Suite 270, 200 Westpark Drive, Peachtree City, GA 30269