Re: LPD network printing

tjobrien@Traveller.COM (Tim O'Brien) writes:

> but not over the network. Locally, lpr produces a text output quite nicely.
> But over the network, nothing appears to happen.
>
> Using lpc and issuing stat, I find that the pritjob has queued locally, and
> says it's waiting for the other machine to start a queue. Running lpq tells
> me 'lpd: lp: Your host does not have line printer access"

This is a problem with the `lpr' package. My solution (the solution?)
was upgrade to lprng (in the unstable tree, but I've had no
problems). Some people have reported that it messes up Samba
configurations, but that seemed to be surmountable too (and if you
have no windoze hosts, it won't be a problem).

In my experience `lprng' produces much nicer lpq output than plain
vanilla lpr, and we're using sucessfully it here with 6 networked
machines, all running Debian, of course.

Mail me if you have any problems.

Graeme
--
| Graeme A Stewart, pgp public key  finger graeme@ariel.igeofcu.unam.mx	|
|  Key fingerprint =  AF C7 BF A4 52 D5 3C 3B  17 A5 62 43 DA 15 E8 97  |