LPD network printing

Howdy, glad to be back after being away for a while.. Hope I haven't missed
much :)

A quick question regarding LPD and remote printing: I have two Debian boxen,
both running kernel 2.0.6. One has a printer on it that functions locally,
but not over the network. Locally, lpr produces a text output quite nicely.
But over the network, nothing appears to happen.

Using lpc and issuing stat, I find that the pritjob has queued locally, and
says it's waiting for the other machine to start a queue. Running lpq tells
me 'lpd: lp: Your host does not have line printer access"

I know the local net is working, all other TCP functions work. I think the
printcap is set up ok, since I can print locally and there's no restrictions
in it.  I have an entry in /etc/hosts.lpd for the machine that wants access
to the printer.

Thanks in advance for any assistance that's available, I really do appreciate
it!

Tim O'Brien

Standard disclaimer applies (no guarantees; if it breaks, you get to keep
both pieces). If you're a listmaker or junkmailer,  consider this written
notification that I DONT WANT IT. REMOVE ME FROM YOUR LIST.
Please direct Email to: tjobrien(at)traveller.com