Re: /bin/sh != /bin/bash ? [was Re: zsh vs bash]

On Mar 03, 1997 at 01:45:37PM -0800, Steve wrote:
> > I set my system shell to zsh as well, and replaced all the /bin/bash in
> > /etc/passwd to /usr/bin/zsh, but when I tried to move /bin/sh to point to
> > /usr/bin/zsh, all of the /etc/init.d/* scripts blew up.
>
> If those scripts actually require bash then why isn't the first line
> #!/bin/bash? Is this a bug, or is it written in stone that /bin/sh and
> /bin/bash are equivalent?

And if so, that's not very portable; /bin/sh is typically something
else again, and certainly is on this Solaris box I'm typing this on.
/bin/sh has no command line editing, for example.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt, moffatt@yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au,     Melbourne, Australia.
Student, computer science & computer systems engineering. 3rd year, RMIT.