Re: Adaptec 2940 UW

Bernd Kreimeier <bk@gamers.org> writes:

> The hardware works fine with 1.3.88 up to 2.0.0. It does not work
> with 2.0.25 and 2.0.27 under my current installation, and with
> the Debian Base rescue disk. "0 SCSI hosts detected". I do not have
> a clue, but my hunch is that Adaptec sells boards with varying
> layout, and the support for some combinations has been broken
> (reportedly since 2.0.12). I got one of the "currently unsupported".

Hmm, interesting theory.  As I recall, I had trouble with a 2940 in my
current machine (but not the previous one).  When I swapped for a
2940UW, the problem went away.

A long shot, but have you tried any of the 2.1.XX kernels?  If you
decide to, I've had quite good luck with 2.1.17 (some of the earlier
ones caused trouble).  If you wanted to try something newer than that
the module format was changed after 2.1.17, so you have to get a new
modutils, etc.  I'm currently running 2.1.26 with 2.1.26-patch3 from
the unofficial patches list with no problems (FWIW).

I'll let you know if I think of anything else for you to try...
--
Rob