Re: Adaptec 2940 UW

>FWIW, I use a 2940UW as well, and all the troubles that I have had
>that I thought were device or kernel problems, turned out to actually
>be bad cabling and/or termination.

The hardware works fine with 1.3.88 up to 2.0.0. It does not work
with 2.0.25 and 2.0.27 under my current installation, and with
the Debian Base rescue disk. "0 SCSI hosts detected". I do not have
a clue, but my hunch is that Adaptec sells boards with varying
layout, and the support for some combinations has been broken
(reportedly since 2.0.12). I got one of the "currently unsupported".

I simply tried creating a 2.0.0 kernel image and pasting it with "dd"
on the Debian rescue disk, attempting to replace the kernel image
while leaving the root image intact. IIRC 350K is the size limit
for the kernel image. My attempts failed, the disk did not load at
all.

So it breaks down to: what am I doing wrong, how can a Debian base
rescue disk be modified by replacing the kernel image?

Thanks for all the answers,

                                       regards,
                                                  b.