Re: nslookup

On Fri, 7 Mar 1997, Thought wrote:

> edit your /etc/hosts and put mybox on the line with 127.0.0.1
>
> it should then look something like:
>
> 127.0.0.1	localhost   localhost.quicklink.net	mybox

this won't help nslookup at all. nslookup is specifically a DNS lookup
tool, not a generic hostname resolver - it does a name-server lookup.

it will however, help any program that uses the resolver library to
resolve host names (i.e. just about every networking program). This is
probably what Gith wants.

However, to get it to work with nslookup, add one of the following lines
to /var/named/named.local:

    mybox   IN  A   127.0.0.1
or
    mybox   CNAME   localhost.

if you're really fussy about DNS "correctness", you might want to also add
another PTR record to /var/named/named.rev-local so that the reverse lookup
for 127.0.0.1 will also mention "mybox":

add the following line to /var/named/named.rev-local just after the
"1.0.0 " line:

            IN  PTR mybox

remember to update (increment) the serial number in both files, and get
named to reload its database with 'ndc reload'.