RE: X

Daniel:

Well Daniel, X is not very useful without a mouse. I'll try to help.

Use the command SuperProbe to determine what Linux sees with
respect to your hardware.

Run xf86config to configure you X server. I'm not quite certain what
version of software you are using but X11R6.3.2 is far more flexible.
(personal option). xf86config will ask you about your mouse.

>From a hardware perspective many computers now days come standard
with a ps/2 mouse interface on the mother board. You have to make
certain that the mouse interface is enabled within the BIOS and you
have to make the wire is connected to your mother board.  Boot your
system, go into the BIOS setup and make sure. If you have an older PC this
is probably not the case. If you have some utilities which scan your PC and
tell you what your hardware is, this would be helpful. In any case when your
kernel loads you should see a line indicating the type of mouse you have
and what module(s) are being loaded. I'm assuming your device drivers
are loaded as modules. If this is not the case, rebuild your modules with
the proper mouse drivers in the kernel.

I sounds like you have a hardware problem, not a software problem.

Let me know what happens.