From:  hajk@xs4all.nl[SMTP:hajk@xs4all.nl]
Sent:  Sunday, March 09, 1997 7:30 AM
To:  submit-linux-debian-user@yggdrasil.com
Subject:  Executing java applications

I'm running Debian-Linux 1.2.6 with Java support, to be able to
run Java applications (not applets). My little test program
Welcome.java is supposed to write a short message to the screen;
it compiles successfully with guavac (it says so), resulting in
Welcome.class. But then what?

First, Welcome.class isn't executable. After fixing that, an error
message complains that it can't find /usr/bin/java -- and sure enough,
it isn't there, and neither is /usr/bin/guava.

Am I missing something? Is Debian-Linux missing something? Must we
only run applets (e.g. under Netscape)? Would appreciate some help
on this.
--
Henk Koster                Home: hajk@xs4all.nl Work: henk@fee.uva.nl
Satisfied user of Linux, OS/2, LaTeX & Lucida Bright, and Psion Siena