Re: X

Hi,

I guess this is an indication that you have the mouse setup right in gpm but
wrong in X. In my /etc/gpm.conf there are lines 'device=/dev/ttyS0' and
'type=ms'. /dev/mouse is a symlink to /dev/ttyS0

In my /etc/X11/XF86Config, section "Pointer" there are lines 'Protocol
"MouseMan"' and 'Device "/dev/mouse"'.

I suggest you to check XF86Config(5x) and see what all the different pointer
protocols are. I think 'ms' and 'MouseMan' are not the same but it seems to
work anyways. I have a cheap 3-button logitech mouse.

If there are multiple resulutions defined in /etc/X11/XF86Config you should be
able to switch between them with Ctr-Alt-+ or Ctrl-Alt--. '+' and '-' are the
respective keys on the numeric keypad on the right edge of your keyboard.

If you want a different default resolution once again check the XF86Config
file and go to the section "Screen". There are a number of "Modes" lines. E.g.
changing
    Modes       "800x600" "1280x1024" "1024x768"
to  Modes      "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"

should change the default from 800x600 to 1280x1024.

That square which says xterm is your window with a shell. Once your mouse
works try the left button of your mouse on the root window. Root window is
also known as 'the background'. If you don't like the default gray background
pattern, try something like 'xsetroot -solid SteelBlue' in the xterm.

Hope this helps.

Daniel Karlsson wrote:

> I've finally managed to make X work. At least in a way. When I write
> "startx" I get a patterned background and a square in the upper left corner
> in which it says xterm. I have no mouse response, even though I have in text
> mode. All I can do is to press Enter. Then the square disappears and
> everything appears to be locked.
>
> What shall I do to at least get a window with a shell?
> And what shall I do to get a higher resolution?

// Heikki
--
Heikki Vatiainen                  * hessu@cs.tut.fi
Tampere University of Technology  * Tampere, Finland