Re: Module Errors!!

On Fri, 7 Mar 1997, Thought wrote:

> Do you or does anyone else get these errors right after installing Debian?
> I would imagine that at least for the first day or so most everything
> would be error free and ready to go, but maybe not?  The only thing I can
> think of that would cause ME to have these errors and nobody else would be
> that I do a make zlilo and my boot is /dev/fd0 even though my root is
> /dev/hda2 (in other words, I stick in my floppy to boot off /dev/hda2).
> Could this be causing a problem?  I don't really see why it would affect
> /sbin/depmod...(I think the root to solving this problem would be found
> easier by looking at why depmod gets errors instead of why the kernel does
> at bootup, no?)

depmod is NOT causing the errors, the errors are due to the fact that you
did NOT compile support for these modules in your kernel. Get rid of them.
You don't need them.
This is NOT an error in the kernel, this is NOT an error with your system.
The error is because make modules made ALL the modules, and they get
installed into the modules directory. Depmod attempts to build a
dependency table on them, but since they are NOT supported by the kernel,
the errors occur. As I said before, ALL you have to do is delete modules
you don't need, and if the errors persist by depmod on modules you DO
need, then you may have to recompile them, or if they DO work, just ignore
dependency problems. The modules setup is far from perfect,and sometimes
due to some setup error it tends to do stupid stuff, like install all the
modules, etc. It's far from ideal, but it works.

Will