Re: PLIP setup?

On Thu, 27 Feb 1997, Steve Reid wrote:

> SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
> SIOCSIFDSTADDR: No such device
>
> It looks as if the PLIP device is not compiled into the kernel. I don't
> get any message regarding PLIP when I boot, but I _know_ I have PLIP
> compiled into the kernel.

Compile both lp and plip as modules- lp otherwise takes priority and
since only one device per port is allowed, plip will not exist. You
can make an ugly hack to kernel sources if you wish.

With the 11 wire plip cable on port 0x278 (IRQ 5), I connect machines
edp0 and edp1  (.1 and .2) as follows:

/sbin/insmod plip io=0x278 irq=5
/sbin/ifconfig plip0 arp 10.0.0.1 pointopoint 10.0.0.2 up
/sbin/route add -net 10.0.0.0 plip0
/sbin/route add -host 10.0.0.2 plip0

edp0 is the gateway machine (short.circuit.com) and the above is used
on edp1 with the difference of .1 and .2 being swapped around in the
command lines. In addition, edp0 is defined as the gateway on edp1:

/sbin/route add default gw 10.0.0.1 plip0

Slow machines like mine need "klogd -c4" to stop plip errors from going to
the screen.

To take the network down:

/sbin/ifconfig plip0 down
rmmod plip