shared library tutorial?

Hello,

	I have built a PCCTS source package - PCCTS is the "Purdue
Compiler-Construction Tool Set" - it produces LL(K) parsers.  I'm
using it in a project which I will eventually Debianize.  The PCCTS
package is close to ready to upload, except it has some libraries in
it, and I would like to compile them as shared libraries and don't
know how.  (I'd also like to use shared libraries in my own project.)

Can anyone point me to an online reference on how to compile and use
shared libraries?  Note that I'm also interested in the portability of
the solution - my project also is working with Linux/Alpha, and
Solaris machines...

Thanks for any info!

	Dale