Re: shared library tutorial?

 The elf how-to briefly mentions something about this, it says:

 "just compile all the object files with -fPIC, then link with a
  command like

        gcc -shared -Wl,-soname,libfoo.so.y -o libfoo.so.y.x *.o

  If that looks complex, you obviously haven't ever read up on the
  equivalent procedure for a.out shared libraries, which involves com-
  piling the library twice, reserving space for all the data you think
  that the library is likely to require in future, and registering that
  address space with a third party (it's described in a document over 20
  pages long --- look at
  <ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/packages/GCC/src/tools-2.17.tar.gz>
  for details)."

 I think that is what you want.

Ioannis Tambouras
ioannis@flinet.com, West Palm Beach, Florida