Re: PLIP setup?

On Feb 27, Steve Reid wrote
> I'm trying to configure a PLIP connection between two machines, but I'm
> having some problems...
[...]
> It looks as if the PLIP device is not compiled into the kernel. I don't
> get any message regarding PLIP when I boot, but I _know_ I have PLIP
> compiled into the kernel. I've tried building a new kernel a couple of
> times and made sure to compile PLIP in. A grep of my .config file shows
> the CONFIG_PLIP=y line.
>
> The system does notice lp1 and lp2 at boot, but says (polling) instead of
> using an IRQ.

If you want to use PLIP, you must make sure that lp is compiled as a module.

This is documented in the PLIP minihowto, /usr/doc/HOWTO/mini/PLIP.gz if you
have the doc-linux package installed; see also drivers/net/README[12].PLIP
in the kernel source.

I'm attaching my plip-connect script.

HTH,
Ray
--
LEADERSHIP  A form of self-preservation exhibited by people with auto-
destructive imaginations in order to ensure that when it comes to the crunch

# This assumes that both local and remote agree on their /etc/hosts
# data for PLIP use (hosts "one" and "two"),
# e.g. 10.0.0.23 one and 10.0.0.42 two

usage () {
  cat >& 2 << 'END'
Usage: plipconnect [one|two] [up|down]
[one|two]: hostname
[up|down]: desired connection state
END
  exit 1
}

if test $1 = "one" ; then
  local="one"
  remote="two"
else if test $1 = "two" ; then
  local="two"
  remote="one"
  else
    usage
  fi
fi

if test $2 = "up" ; then
  insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/net/plip.o || true
  sleep 1
  ifconfig plip1 $local pointopoint $remote up
  route add $remote
  # Don't mess up the console with timeouts
  start-stop-daemon --stop --verbose --pidfile /var/run/klogd.pid || true
  sleep 2
  start-stop-daemon --start --verbose --pidfile /var/run/klogd.pid \
  	--exec /sbin/klogd -- -c 3 || true
  route add $remote
  ifconfig
  echo ""
  route
  echo "up done"
  if grep -q '^/' /etc/exports ; then
    echo "You have entries in /etc/exports; assuming NFS daemons are active"
  else
    echo "You have no entries in /etc/exports; you have to start NFS daemons manually"
  fi
else
  if test $2 = "down" ; then
    ifconfig plip1 down || true