Problems with mouse.

I have just installed the latest version of Debian GNU/Linux (v 1.2 I think)
and when
it came to the device installation section I asked it to install the MS Bus
Mouse
driver.  When the system boots up it says that it has found the bus mouse,
however
when I tried to install XFree86 it could not find any mouse attached no
matter what
device I told it to use.  To try and see if I could access the mouse from
outside X
I obtained the gpm module and installed it, but to no avail, it to did not
show any
signs of being able to access the mouse, no errors, but no mouse either.

This is my exact setup :

Debian GNU/Linux 1.2
Old Microsoft Inport Bus Mouse Adapter Card and Mouse
msbusmouse module installed saying that device is /dev/msmouse
gpm installed with device set to /dev/msmouse and type set to any of bm/ms
or bare

When gpm goes into it's test phase it says that it connects to /dev/msmouse
fine, but
none of the types give me any joy.  Can anybody help ?

I have read some older messages from this mailing list that said something
about needing
to get a new kernel version, is this still required for the latest version
of Debian GNU/Linux.
If so what do I have to get and where do I get it from ?

Many thanks in advance to anybody who is able to help.

Regards,

Paul Brown