Re: Lilo query

|"On Thu, 27 Feb 1997, G. Kapetanios wrote:
|"
|">
|"> Hi,
|">
|"> I have a debian system at my office . Since I set it up I have been
|"> booting
|"> using the boot disk. However I decided to try using lilo. So I got the
|"> program by nfs. I created the following script for lilo.conf
|"> boot=/dev/hda3
|"> root=/dev/hda3
|"^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|"THIS
|"> compact
|"> install=/boot/boot.b
|"> map=/boot/map
|"> vga=normal
|"> delay=20
|"> other=/dev/hda1
|"^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|"Has to be THIS before it can boot. Why? Because when you turn on the
|"computer, the BIOS looks at hda1 before all the other drives. Your BIOS
|"may have the ability  to boot off of hda3, but unless you  do this, or you
|"tell lilo to use /dev/hda1, Lilo won't install on the boot disk.

Nope. /dev/hda1 is the first partition (1) on the first IDE harddisk (a).
This has nothing to do with it being the first disk. The MBR of the first
harddisk is on /dev/hda.

--
Ronald van Loon (ronald@and.nl)

"I am waiting as fast as I can! I want patience, and I want it *NOW*!"
                                                     - Bethany J. Parkhurst