Re: IMPORTANT: RSA Data Security Challenge participants please read

Bruce, I feel I have to reply after reading some follow ups, including yours.

Well Bruce, with all due respect, have you looked at the numbers? This "linux" group has been participating for 150 hours. We (debian@debian.org) have been participating for about 110... but they have 10 times the keyblocks! Doesn't that tell you something? I don't think there's a real chance of beating them.

> embarassing to beat them. So please, if you are participating, change your
> reporting address to "linux@linuxnet.org" NOW. I have asked the
> statistics-keepers to add the figure for debian@debian.org to that for
> linux@linuxnet.org .

I'll change it as soon as someone explains to me what the heck is "linuxnet". It's not linux.org. They don't have a web server, and a simple search using AltaVista reveals this is some sort of IRC network based on linux servers. They are NOT Linux.

On the other hand I know what debian.org is... well, maybe. Isn't Debian about group collaboration worldwide? That's what the "controversial" press release said. I think THIS is worldwide collaboration. A LOT of people willing to put machine time to make a POLITICAL STATEMENT. The money? I don't care about it. If I'd care about the prize I'll be running the thing under mmagallo@efis.ucr.ac.cr... who knows? I may get lucky. But that's not it. I beleive in the Debian Project, and I prefer Debian over RedHat and others because of it's users (along with many incredible features it has)! If one of the machines I administer turns out to find the correct answer, I'm donating the money to Debian/FSF/Linux.

You have made some really good bad-points about what the people may perceive about Debian if it wins. But I think we can make some really good good-points if that happens.

We are not trying to beat Linux. We ARE (part of) Linux. We are Debian/GNU Linux. We are NOT RedHat/Slackware/whatever. We like them, but we are not them.

Please reconsider.

	Marcelo Magallon