Re: Package configuration philosophy

On Thu, 27 Feb 1997, Craig Sanders wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, [iso-8859-1] Nicolás Lichtmaier wrote:
>
> > > If someone is going to evaluate an entire distribution on a prompt
> > > (even if there are other factors), I'm not going to be upset if they
> > > don't choose Debian.
> >
> >  I'm no talking about just the prompt. We're talking about good and
> > comfortable defaults, default settings should be like suggestions
> > of how things can be done. Good defaults is very important in a
> > distribution, IMHO.
>
> IMO, debian HAS good defaults. clean & simple without a lot of stuff to
> undo when you want to customise it to YOUR preferred settings.
>
> Making default settings too pretty/complex tends to stifle both learning
> & creativity...instead of just one thing to learn/change at a time, you
> have to undo a lot of changes (or at least learn what they do) or risk
> breaking a working setup.

I wonder if it would be possible to make a package that included a good
degree of the typical customizations? I have setup 3 debian machines right
from the ftp server in the past month and there are things I change right
off the bat, the prompt is one, the .inputrc (to include home/end keys)
some of the aliases, enable color ls etc

Stifling learning is one thing, but having to do the same setup again and
again is pain -- which is why I wonder if a package could be made?

Jason