Re: Package configuration philosophy

On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> > >  I'm no talking about just the prompt. We're talking about good and
> > > comfortable defaults, default settings should be like suggestions
> > > of how things can be done. Good defaults is very important in a
> > > distribution, IMHO.
> >
> > IMO, debian HAS good defaults. clean & simple without a lot of stuff to
> > undo when you want to customise it to YOUR preferred settings.
> >
> > Making default settings too pretty/complex tends to stifle both learning
> > & creativity...instead of just one thing to learn/change at a time, you
> > have to undo a lot of changes (or at least learn what they do) or risk
> > breaking a working setup.
>
> I wonder if it would be possible to make a package that included a good
> degree of the typical customizations? I have setup 3 debian machines right
> from the ftp server in the past month and there are things I change right
> off the bat, the prompt is one, the .inputrc (to include home/end keys)
> some of the aliases, enable color ls etc

The problem with this is that the defaults the package developer likes are
unlikely to conform to the particular taste of every user.  This sounds
like a good option for an individual to create for their particular
needs.   Might be a neat idea...  It would certainly speed the process up
when doing installations on multiple machines.