Re: From stable to unstable, your advise needed

Heikki Vatiainen wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I finally decided to jump from stable to unstable. I pointed dselect to
> unstable and as a result I was faced with an enormous number of new and
> updated packages.
>
> Among the updated packages were e.g. bash 2.0 that's known to break at least
> some of the scripts that work with the older 1.14 version.
>
> Is there something I should know or keep my eye on during this jump? For
> example, is it wise to install the new bash straight ahead or should I put it
> on hold instead and install it after all the other packages?
>
> I think I'll just go for it on Tuesday night (about 40 hours from now) and I
> would be very grateful for any feedback before that.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> PS. When I pointed dselect back to stable all the new packages are still
> hanging there. Is this a bug or a feature? Otherwise things are back to
> normal, no updated packages are shown anymore.
>
> // Heikki
> --

I've been on unstable (or is that unsteady ;) for the last month or so
using bash 2.0-2.deb version. Occasionally I revert back to the old bash
if I have a package installation problem but this is rare. Dpkg easily
goes back and forth with no problems between older and newer versions of
bash. Be sure you use dpkg_1.4.0.8 since this corrected a minor bash 2.0
problem in a dpkg script. For the most part unstable has caused me
absolutely no problems. Of course I just download a few packages at a
time each day and check them out before going whole hog. I suppose you
could download the whole ball of wax and somehow just install a few at a
time if you are the cautious type. Me, I beleive a belt, suspenders and
a rope may possibly be sufficient to hold up ones trousers ;). You never
know though.

--Victor