People Demanding Credit in the Press Release Silliness

On Thu, 20 Feb 1997, Douglas Stewart wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Feb 1997, Yoav Cohen-Sivan wrote:
>
> > 	It is a sort of Press Release whipped-up by the Debian Project Leader.
> > I really didn't intend to chastise him for this - I am a staunch Debian
> > advocate. I just wanted to remark that the "press release" was a bit
> > low-key on attributing the GNU project and Linus for most of Debian.
> > Seeing as how it looks like this is a release meant for the general
> > public I deem it only fair that they think of Debian as an
> > implementation of the GNU project and the Linux Kernel, and not as some
> > new OS. I would prefer Debian stood on its own merit.
>
> Please people, let's not get ridiculous about this.  It's called Debian
> GNU/Linux, which is more than enough credit for GNU.  As Linus has said
> before, the only really essential GNU tool for Linux to exist was gcc.
> Everything else is available (though usually inferior to the GNU
> implementation).

It is my understanding the Linux was created by many people generously
donating their skills and time.  We should try to give credit where credit
is due - but these people selflessly and generously donated their time,
and I don't see them demanding personal recognition - in fact I doubt they
would because they are concerned more with helping others than receiving
personal credit to boost their ego... at least I hope this is the case.
I don't think it is of much importance who is mentioned in the press
release.  Do Linus or GNU/FSF really care?  We know their contributions,
that's the important thing; the average reader of the press release will not
care.

-=-

Daniel Robbins
School of Medicine Computer Services