Re: 21041 dec-chip

On Wed, 19 Feb 1997, dpk wrote:

> i have just installed debian on my machine, however the network is
> "unreachable." i have an smc with a 21041 dec-chipset on it.  the module
> (tulip) was added without any problem upon installation. however when i
> rebooted the system i get these errors:
>
> SIOCSIFFLAGS:  Try again
> SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable
> SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable

I have noticed that SMC cards in general are rather touchy about how their
drivers are installed.  I usually have the best luck by compiling the
drivers directly in the kernel rather than using modules.  I am somewhat
mystified as to the cause of this erratic behavior but since I have to
deal with a number of different SMC cards (WD8003, Ultra, EtherEZ and
EtherPower PCI) I have not been able to isolate the cause of the problem.
With the older cards, it is the 0x300 address and IRQ conflicts which
gives the most problem.

Cheers,

Carlo

    *                            Carlo U. Segre                           *
    *      Department of Biological, Chemical and Physical Sciences       *
    *        Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL 60616          *
    *   Voice: (312) 567-3498                      FAX: (312) 567-3494    *
    *                      segre@charlie.cns.iit.edu                      *