missing/non-functional identd service?

Hi there.

I've been learning about PGP, and was in the process of taking a look at a
few public keys, when I ran into a small stumbling block.  You see, I was
fingering bruce@master.debian.org when I ran into a small obstacle:

tcsh> finger bruce@master.debian.org
[master.debian.org]

Debian Linux 1.1  Copyright (C) 1993-1996 Debian Association, Inc. and
others

                 Your site has been rejected for some reason.

         This may be caused by a missing RFC 1413 identd on your site.

                 Contact your and/or our system administrator.

  --> Tue 21:02 on templinux : pwd is ~
tcsh>

Since my system is also Debian (why else would I be sending this to deb
user?), I decided to try it against my system from a machine which I knew
suffers from a lack of identd:

20:48 on charcoal : ~ > finger templin@templinux
[templinux.bucknell.edu]

                 Your site has been rejected for some reason.

         This may be caused by a missing RFC 1413 identd on your site.

                 Contact your and/or our system administrator.

20:54 on charcoal : ~ >

Is this a configuration error I need to fix, a package I haven't
installed, or something else?  It would seem best if Debian systems could
at least finger Debian systems, right?

Thanks in advance for the help,

  --Pete