Bash Function File

I use a bash function file "/usr/local/bash_functions". In the
/etc/profile file there is a statement "source
/usr/local/bash_functions". I can normally use the bash fuctions when I
am in my /home/user directory but when I do an "su" I can no longer use
the bash_functions without resourcing them. This is very inconvenient.
What can I do so they stay sourced whether I am /home/user $ or su #? Is
there some place to put a source statement which will do the job? I have
tried source statements in /home/user and /root .bash_profile files as
well. Another of life's little mysteries.

Victor Torrico